Saturday, May 19, 2007

IS EVERYBODY HAPPY?

Sounds like something a Cruise Director would say!!! Well, there he is (right): "Max Your Cruise Director aboard the Costa Magica" (read that with an Italian accent, please). That's me standing between Clark Gable and my sister-in-law. You thought Clark Gable died didn't you? He is, in fact, alive and well working as a bartender on the Costa Magica (again, with the Italian accent, pls). Actually, this is Frederico who is from Honduras --- he's a "dead ringer" for Clark Gable; right down to those EARS!

We (me, my husband Steve, my brother Steve and his wife Charlotte) went on a week long cruise in February -- my first Cruise ever. I'd go again in a heartbeat; just not on the Costa Magica (Italian accent, pls). Everything was GREAT except the food. The food was at times edible and at times absolutely awful. The wine and desserts were always yummy, so just consume those (in mass quantities).

We live near Tampa so we got up early and drove to Ft. Lauderdale (I'm NEVER riding in a car w/ my brother Steve driving again and he probably won't LET me be in a car with him again). The ship left at 6 pm Sunday night and arrived in Puerto Rico at 5 pm Tuesday afternoon -- almost 48 hours at sea. By the end of the cruise I realized that my favorite times were "at sea" -- I could do whatever I wanted to do, even if what I wanted to do was nothing.

We left on Super Bowl Sunday and if you watched the SB you will remember the STORM! My first look out our porthole (it was square w/ rounded edges actually and very large) made me want to scream "Man (woman) the lifeboats!" The waves were 15-20 feet and it felt exactly like being on a train or a subway -- but this was a HUGE ship. A couple of xanax later (stop thinking that -- I have a prescription!), the storm passed and it was smooth sailing by morning.

First stop, San Juan, Puerto Rico -- kayaked in the dark to experience the bioluminescence.
"Imagine the blackness of the sea on a moonless night. Now watch it sparkle with the darting lights of a million fireflies. The phosphorescence is actually bioluminescence generated by microscopic organisms in the water. It is believed to be part of a natural defense system triggered by the movement of predators.
Many scientists believe the tiny organisms light up so their predators can see more desirable prey – and thus leave them alone.

The phenomenon occurs sporadically in warm seas around the world, but Puerto Rico is one of the only places on the planet where you can depend on it every evening in two protected bays. This eerie light is nothing less than magical!"

This is MUST DO even though it was a very rough hour and a half bus ride from the port. The kayaks are doubles so, of course, I was in the front and didn't really have to exert much energy. Kayaking with an anal retentive husband (ARH) is a bittersweet experience. I found it best to "pretend" to be paddling "on the LEFT, the LEFT, LEFT, the RIGHT NOW; I SAID THE RIGHT, great -- now we're going to hit that . . . are you not listening?," "yes dear, how could I NOT hear you yelling?"

Best of all was dipping my hands in the water and watching the sparkles trickle off my finger tips over and over again, and watching the motion of the paddles creating amazing sparkling waves. It was truly magical even with the ARH in the back seat.

Next stop St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (how do they KNOW they are virgins?)

1 comment:

Michele said...

WOWOOWOW.... amazing. I must first say, Jo Ann, your writings are awesome. You are so gifted girl! You should be writing novels. I would buy them in a heartbeat. I was so intrigued in the way you described your cruise and the storm, etc. It was fun and mezmorizing. I've never been on a cruise before, would love to be but during a storm would've been spectacular yet scary.
Great job on your new blog and I'm so looking forward to many more posts. This is a refreshing side of you that I throughly enjoyed. Keep it up!